Cow Tower is one of the earliest purpose built artillery blockhouses in England and was built in 1398, standing over 15 metres tall in Norwich. The name was thought to have come from the surrounding meadow known as Cowholme.
The tower was built as an additional defence to the other defences already encircling medieval Norwich. It was built with ports for cannons and arrow loops that could be used for crossbows and small guns.
The walls of the tower were built with flint rubble, brick and stone dressings.
Cow Tower is now owned by English Heritage and is seen as great historic tourist attraction.